Saturday, January 1, 2011

My face so far...

I have struggled with face issues for like...ever! I have... I don't know what kind of skin, I'd just say irrational! I get lots of breakouts and have a super dry nose and chin and oily checks and forehead. Crazy!

I have used EVERYTHING under the sun for this. Neutrogena, Biore, Oil of Olay, Dove, and prescriptions from my doctor (at like $100 a pop!).

One of my favorite bloggers discusses and alternative to commercial cleansers and I decided to give it a try. The MoptopMaven showed me the light with the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM). If you click on her name, it will take you to the post where this method is discussed. Her skin is beautiful!!!

The OCM basically teaches the user to use oil only to clean your face. It may sound crazy but after almost 2 weeks, I can say, it has totally changed my skin more than any of the other crap I've used before. I want this moment for life!

I love finding out new things, stuff we have been sleeping on and this is really it for me! Using this method has reduced my winter dryness and started to heal blemishes that have been on my face for years. Lady K told me "Mommy, your face is pretty" and I didn't even have on makeup! This was also followed by "Mommy can I have a donut?" but I am taking all the compliments I can get!

So, what is my regimen for my face utilizing the moptops' suggestions:

1. Clean - I mix a small container with about 5 tablespoons of castor oil (pure or organic is best) and 5 tablespoons of grapeseed oil. I put about a dime to quarter size of the mixture in my hands, and distribute on my face. I apply it like I am exfoliating, in a circular motion. I rub the mixture into my face and neck for about 2 minutes. Once complete I heat a washcloth (use 1 washcloth each day or more if you are removing makeup). I get the water as hot as I can stand it, wring out, and apply the hot steamy cloth to my face. I leave the washcloth on until it cools off. This is the part I totally love. It is like a mini facial. I repeat this for about 2-3 times (or more if I have time because it feels awesome). I then use the washcloth to wipe away the oil. Be sure to totally wipe the oil away (don't forget the chin and neck). Last step, rinse face with a splash of cool water to close those pores you opened up with the steam.
*I recommend you research which oils work best for you and the effects. There are lots of articles if you google oil cleansing method. Olive oil is mentioned most, however, this oil drys my skin and hair, so I use grapeseed. But you will find through trial and error what works best for you.

2. Tone - So I am not a fan of extra steps, but toner is really important to keeping your face tight. I can say since using this for the past 2 weeks, my face is doing great. I use a natural remedy again for this. A lot of bloggers use green tea, but I didn't have this so I just used regular Lipton's tea. This is black tea, which can be good too and has the same antioxidants that green tea is known for. I steeped 3 tea bags, cooled the tea, and then added to a small container with about 5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. And that's the toner! My DH hates the smell of the vinegar and for the past 2 weeks talks about it EVERY TIME I put it on. But he compliments my awesome face, so its a trade off!

3. Moisturize - I am recovering from lots of acne scars. A lot of people who use the OCM pick one of the oils and use it as a moisturizer. I would use whichever is the secondary oil you use with the castor oil in the OCM. I use grapeseed as my moisturizer. This can be used alone, however, I use it with about 60% pure aloe vera gel and 40% grapeseed oil. The aloe vera gel has a lot of awesome benefits which I will discuss one day, but it feels great and really cooling to your face. This has been THE ONLY thing that keeps my nose from peeling during the day.

4. Spot treatments - Most of use always have those blemishes that come up during that time of the month. I used to used a super expensive gel from the dermatologist, but now...of course...natural. The one concoction I love right now is 2 tablespoons of honey to one teaspoon of cinnamon. Yes, its super sweet, gooey and I have licked it off my fingers after mixing and applying lol. You apply this mixture to each blemish, rub in and keep on for about 15 minutes. The above recipe is enough for about 2 weeks (depending on your blemishes). I'm telling you, the next day the blemish is gone or severely reduced. Some people keep it on all night, but I haven't figured out how to make it stick so it won't rub off all night.

I've only started these treatments in the last couple of weeks so I will post some pix of my face sans makeup now and more in a couple of months. My last videos posted were make up free (unfortunately lol), but I will get some closeups to document my changes. I will also take some pix of the containers, oils and mixtures, etc because these have been beneficial to me in trying to figure out what the ___ people are talking about.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment