Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Henna...Where have you been all my life?

So...I finally henna'd! And all I can say is O.M.G! I loved it.



I actually loved the process of putting it in. This is where all the "O" faces came from. I love the way it stretched my hair and I was able to see how long my hair is as I smoothed it on (down to my neck in some spots). The process is reminiscent of the creamy crack applications, but without the extreme burning sensation.

The henna I purchased (no idea what type) was not in the box, but by the pound. I got it from this really random Indian Market too damn far from my house. For like 3 lbs. of powder I paid $15. Not sure how much it typically costs. In addition to the Henna, I purchased some oils and Amla powder to start the Ayurvedic treatments.

The henna tips I can provide and I wish I would've known in advance are:

1. Plan to henna like a day or two before you want to do it. For the henna to release its full color it must sit at least 24 hours. This means you must mix it up the day before. You can release the color in about 8 or so hours by adding lemon juice, but I didn't want to risk this.

2. Henna can be stored for a few months if you make too much. It must be frozen, though. I used one of my old Chinese food containers because its dark (and that's best for storage) and put it in two plastic bags to mask the smell.

3. The smell is SUPA strong. Even the unmixed powder in the bag is strong. Mine is stored in the garage. If you have any aversion to strong smells this may not be the product for you. I actually like strong smells (like my own farts...but it doesn't smell like that).

4. It stains your body and hands. Wear gloves and wipe off skin immediately if you get it on you.

5. You need help if its your first time to wipe excess henna. I had to keep calling DH to help wipe it off my ears or chest as was falling. Its best (in my opinion) to go topless when doing it.

6. If you have any grays, it dyes them bright red. I did it because I was graying...i.e. I had like 10 gray hairs. I love the way it makes them look now. But if you have a lot of gray hairs, beware you may be Rihanna after the process.

My henna mixed consisted of the following:
1 heaping cup of powder
1-2 cups of water (enough to make it pasty, like brownie mix)
1/2 cup of Aussie Moist Conditioner
1/2 cup of Aubry Organics Conditioner
*I was supposed to add some Brahmi oil right before I put it on, but because I was too excited, this never happened.

Once the henna was mixed, I put it in the garage for a day. They say the color best releases in warm climates. I applied the henna like perm, section, by section. Afterwards, I put on a plastic cap and a wrap strip (you know the kinds you used when you used to get a perm) around the cap to keep in any leakage. I kept it in for about an hour or so.

I recommend, using your favorite conditioners to mix it up. Freak it how you like it. I like the consistency this time, but may use different conditioners next time.

My results yielded a little lighter/browner hair color, but mostly only seen in the sunlight. My grays are totally gone. And my curls are a little looser, which I LOVED because they are tight.

I will do this every 6 weeks and wish I could do it more!

Do you henna? Whats your favorite mix consist of?

No comments:

Post a Comment