Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Can you work with “this”?


So, before I featured my fro I wore to work and this week, I have been wearing it in an updo. Braids up the back and side, twist to the side in the front.

People keep commenting…”ohhhh, you changed your hair” or “ohhhh, I see you tamed it down a little” (as to imply my hair in the afro was an untrained animal who needed a cage). I just smile and say, well, its just braids. Is it that dramatic? Maybe its because I’m also wearing glasses because I f’d up one of my contacts and don’t have a back up. I don’t know.

Anyhoo, I came across this interesting article on  BGLH Blogspot even better are the comments. Going through as seeing almost 100 black women, who are lawyers, nurses, judges, teachers, professors, all wearing their natural hair. Not all “taming it” and wearing it in its natural state. Wearing it in afros, and braid outs, and curly’s…

Why is this even an issue when every commercial you turn on now you see a woman of color (light or dark) wearing a twist out? Its like you have to have curly hair/afro to even been considered an authentic black woman in Hollywood, however, in our every day careers we tip top around our hair.

I’m only wearing my updo to protect my hair and keep my hands out of it, but I have a good mind to come up here tomorrow with an afro and a black fist pick stuck in it.

Just kidding…but for real. Stop making our hair your issue. What I do for my hair is for me. Not to be “picked” apart (no pun intended) by my coworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment