Monday, September 5, 2011

What is love?

Hmmm...

So what is love? I found this definition:

"Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every part of your body... For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away..." (source).

I love this definition. It is real talk done son. Love is what you have, after you've "won" that person over. Love is not pretty, Love doesn't wear make up, Love wears a bonnet at night. Love may not take you to dinner or have stimulating conversation, and Love may, hurt you. Let me rephrase...Love will hurt you. You want to know why... because Love is hard. Love is work. Love should brought your ass home last night (ok, you know I had to do it).

Sometimes, I get caught up in the Love of it all. I get caught up missing those feelings of being "in love". The beautiful thing about marriage (and cherish this because its hard for me to find these moments) is that it forces you to fall in and out of love over and over and over again. It forces you to stay with the person after all that gushy stuff is gone; the you hang ups, no you hang ups. Through the hard times, Love is the thread, the force that keeps you together until you find something to be in love with again.

Since I've been married, me and my DH have divorced several times (in my head). And then we fall in love all over again. We are just entering our 3rd year and people say, if you get to 3 years you're good. And then other people say, you're still not safe, because you get the 7 year itch. And most recently I heard the crazy "its really the 10-13 year mark that makes or breaks you". HA! All buffoonery if you ask. From the day, the minute, the second after they pronounce you man and wife, shit gets real. Real real! And anyone who tells you it will all be a crystal staircase and cherries on top, is full of crap. Tell em Rae told you!

The bottom line is, Love is what will keep you together. Love is what sustains. Just remember, when you are having a fat week (or summer in some cases), and your natural hair journey has taken a turn for the worst, Love is what you need. Love is what you want.

So what am I saying...I'm just saying. Fluff is good. Fluff makes for nice stories and makes a good pillow. But who cares about the pillows, if you don't have a good bed.

In addition to showing what my face looks like during the Love thinking process, I wanted to show off my twist out! (more to come on these pix in the next blog post, lol).

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! And this is my favorite: "Just remember, when you are having a fat week (or summer in some cases), and your natural hair journey has taken a turn for the worst, Love is what you need."

    ReplyDelete