Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Is Weave "Natural"?

So, the great debate...Can you wear weave most of the time (80-90%) and still call yourself a Natural?

Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnn

I don't comment much on weave because I'm at a "to each its own" place in my life. I've worn weaves, braids, etc and I get it. But what I don't get is the Weavers saying they are Naturals. To me, that is an oxymoron. Its like saying I'm against drinking, but I have wine with dinner.

Recently, one of my favorite natural chicks, Curly Nikki, completed a few celebrity interviews. These "Natural" hair celebrities say they wear weave all the time, for work, for convenience etc but their hair is natural underneath. These interviews can be found by clicking this link. This first were with Mo and Kita, Terrell Owens home girls and the other was with Angela Simmons (from Run's House). These women all talk about how they have flowing natural hair going down their back, but to the world and for "work" they choose to keep it weaved all the time.




I ask the question...whats the f'in point???? If you live your life publically as a weaved girl and only you only see your natural hair between track installs, why call yourself a natural? Just not getting a perm doesn't make you natural. Maybe they would be considered in the transitioning stage. Transisition because they haven't come to grips with their natural hair. I don't get how you say "oh, I have long big beautiful hair, however, its not good enough to show to the world"? Aren't you buying in and perpetuating the same image of beautiful (silky, long, straight hair that never poofs up and nor has any emotion) that we, "The Naturals" (yes I say this like we are a crew) are all about?

Kita and Mo have even gone as far to speaking to young girls and have a new company about "Defining their pretty" which includes the sales of the hair they wear to the masses. I get it, they feel prettier with somebody elses hair that behaves better than their own; however, is this the message we want to promote? That our young girls have to hid their naps, or kinks, or poofs to be accepted? How are they showing they feel pretty just being themselves if they never take the weave away and just get naked?

Again, I'm not judging the weaves as a whole. I think they are a great way to help your hair grow and protect your hair, and give your natural tresses a break. But if you spend 90% or more of your life in somebody elses hair, what are you saying about your own? Angela Simmons even goes as far to say she goes to the hairdresser 2-3 times a week to get her weave tightened up. Why not give that same tender loving care to your own hair?

These women for the most part, never wear their hair out. They say if they do, they have to add additional tracks here and there for fullness, or whatever. Some of them have never even tried to manipulate their hair in its natural state without pressing, perming, etc. So I ask, why not give it a chance? Why are we so down on what we have? What makes straighter hair, thinner hair better? Aren't we trying to get past that by categorizing ourselves as "Natural"?

I guess every one's reason for going "Natural" is different. Mine reason was to show my daughter that her hair is good no matter what length or what texture it is. I want to teach young girls that you don't have to change yourself or assimilate into society. Society can accept you as you are as long as you accept who you are.

For the grown women out there, I'm in no way taking anything from you. I know a lot of women currently transitioning with braids and weaves and its great. But to make a lifestyle of doing only that seems a little fraudulent IF you are too claiming to be "Natural". If you are a weave girl, just be proud of that. If you are a lace front, be proud of that. But double dipping as a lifestyle...ehhhh, I'm not feeling that.
Don't say your are a weave girl, don't say you are a "natural" girl, just say...It's Complicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment