Monday, September 12, 2011

Can grown women have playdates?

(source)
I've been in the DMV now for 9 years. Every year I make a big escape plan all to never go through with it. I came here in 2002 and said I've give it 3 years. In 2005 I started looking for a new job. In 2006 I got a new job and said I'd give it a year. In 2007 I had a new job back in Michigan, but met my soon to be DH, and said I'd give love a try. 2008 I got preggo and now...2011...still here.

I guess I should start making this place home.  And I'm dying to increase my circle with some new chicas. Chicks I have things in common with, who maybe have children the same age as me so we can have cocktails during play dates...you know. Like grown women playdates and we happen to bring our kids with us.

I've met some awesome people since living here, but I always imagined my circle being bigger. Having grand parties. Taking big couple trips.

Well recently, I met this lady at the grocery store. We were both looking at new products in the natural hair section and got to talking. She has a son near Lil' K's age and was expecting. We talked about hair, kids, products, etc. It was such a nice and refreshing conversation, that, afterwards...I longed for more. I know...it sounds romantic right and a teeny bit gay. But I didn't want to book her...well not in that way. I wanted to meet her for coffee or sandwiches at Panera Bread and talk about life with someone seemingly where I am in life. I wanted to meet her husband and wandered was he just as tall as she was. Did they play pick up basketball games? Where is she from? How long has she been in this area? Does she like her son all the time? Does she want to trade babysitting? Do they want to come over and hang?

Its crazy right? Its not very often I meet people I'm interested in. I mention to her I had a blog and was going to give her the address because some of the stuff we discussed I have talked to death on here. I also wanted to get her email address to just keep in touch with a seemingly cool mom.

I was hesitant because...I got booked in a grocery store some years back. A lady who I thought was nice chatted me up, told me about her husband, so I didn't think she was gay. Invited me to a party. And when I called her later to discuss the details of "said party" she tried to turn me into a swinger with her and her dude. I was scarred because I thought she was mad cool and I don't meet cool chicks that often. After that, I don't meet random ladies anymore. You have to be a friend of a friend or something. But now, having a child...I wonder...is it time? Should I take a chance on branching out?

Ladies...how do you go about meeting new friends? Or do you even try? I'm not a "mommy and me" or "mocha moms" type chick (tried it and failed horribly) but how do you get in new circles?

No comments:

Post a Comment