Friday, February 18, 2011

Reflections - Part 1

So yesterday, I received some sound advice...that I need to take a look in the mirror at myself...

And I have been doing just that for the past couple of months.

I think it is easy to judge other people's behavior, but probably more difficult to take a look, a real look at you in the mirror. Flaws and All. What I have been doing is looking inside myself...trying to discover what I am feeling, really becoming in tune with what I have been feeling and trying to articulate that to myself and those around me.

I believe I haven't done this, at least, not well since I have been married and become a mother. Most of my past few years have been about looking out, at my external relationships and not about looking in, at me. For the past month or two I have been doing a little project with myself. After I shower, I stand in the mirror naked. I just stand there and look at myself. Sometimes its for one minute, other times it may be for 15 or 20 minutes. I'm trying to rediscover myself, my body, my perfections, my imperfections. I just take the time to think.

I think when you become a  mother your life becomes rushed. You don't have time for you. You don't have any privacy, your body is taken over, your mind is taken over, your space is taken over and you become a vessel for your family. Which is what a mother, a matriarch is supposed to be. However, if we don't continue to feed ourselves, our souls, how much good are we really to those around us.

I'm a total work in progress...but I do think that I need to look in the mirror...more. We all do. We may or may not like what we see. But, overtime, I plan to not only like it, but LOVE it.

I will keep you posted in my new series called Reflections...

No comments:

Post a Comment