Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Natural Soro: Tyee

So, I talk about my "Natural Soros" as women who are connected to me through our hair journey, but this lady is connected to me through so much more. This lady is my sister, my best friend. I used to want to be her when I was growing up and practically was her (through the use of her I.D) until I turned of age, lol. I love her so much and am sooooo proud of her journey and her daughter, my niece's journey. You guys have seen her featured in a couple of my post also. Here is her natural hair story...enjoy!


How long have you been natural?
I started my journey September 2010

Did you transition or go straight bc?
I transitioned.

Why did you go natural?
I was with my family for my niece 2nd birthday in Maryland. My sister was talking how she was starting the journey. She suggested we start with her (that sister is me:-) We talked about perms and chemicals that we have used the majority of our lives and how going natural wasn't easy, but so rewarding. I never second guessed it because I knew I wanted to change my look.  This came at the perfect time of my life!

Were you attached when you made the decision? If so, did your mate have an opinion?
No.

What is your favorite style so far?
I do the two strand twist and roll with curl rods. I let this air dry, undo the twists and fluff it out.




What are your favorite products?
Creme of nature detangling shampoo, suave naturals conditioner are what I'm using for my wash and condition routine. I have a really dry scalp so I use 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of water after I shampoo.  I leave this on for a couple of minutes, then rinse and condition.  I also use Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in conditioner and Ultra Sheen/Ultra Care Serum (coconut, avocado and castor oil), plus shea butter for moisture and sealing.

What is your regimen and what do you do with your hair at night?
I oil my hair every night and sleep on a satin pillow case. I tried to use a satin wrap, but I get hot at night and this would make my hair very frizzy in the morning.

Do you have any advice for newly naturals?
Don't get frustrated! The journey can be difficult. Check out youtube because they have SOOOO many videos and tutorials on styles. Don't give up!  My sister helped me a lot with finding suitable products, but you will need to try different products because what works for some, doesn't work for all.  Its all trial and error, but so rewarding! You learn so much about your hair. Don't be scared or think you're not attractive. There is nothing sexier than a woman who goes natural (and fells confident and secure about herself). Have fun with it!


What have you learned about yourself throughout the journey?
I learned that I have natural beauty! I have never felt more sexy. My natural look is so me. I feel free. When I was perming my hair, it would take me so long to get ready and leave the house.  I had to flat iron and style my hair. Now, I wake up, run oil through my hair, fluff it, and GO! I love my hair! I can't keep my hands out of it.  It has been so empowering, and I realized how beautiful my hair is without the perm. The natural waves and curls are amazing, and now my hair is so healthy and thick. I thank my beautiful sister Rae for bringing this journey to my life. I always used to see women with natural styles and thought, that would never look right on my head. I think I was afraid to change. This is my pure essence, the real me!

Will this thing last forever eva?
This is forever me! I will never go back! I have found what I've been looking for in myself.

I'm soooooo incredibly proud of my sister for letting me interview her and for going through this journey with me! Its so much better when you have a friend, or sister to go through everything with! Life, hair, whatever, life is better when your sister is holding your hand:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment