Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Great Shed of 2011

Shedding...ugh#@$#@!

For the past maybe 4 months, after every wash and detangle and shingling session I have about this much hair come out.


                                                Shed Hair for One Month (divided by weeks)
                                                Source: naturallycurly.com

My hair is not this long, but this is about how much came out after each wash. Not to mention, this x2 because I wash my hair about 2 times a week. I tried to find info on #naturalhairshedding, but it seems it is not talked about a lot. I'm not sure if other naturals don't experience as much shedding as I have, but dude, it was becoming crazy and really led me to think I just needed to chop again and start from the beginning.

I did not...I took some time to realize what may be causing the shedding. I was nearing my year, so I said "maybe its just that my hair is getting a little longer and not really shedding". Ha. No. That was not true, it was shedding, breaking, whatever you want to call it. Ok, so the first like talk about the differences in the terms.

Shedding: Shedding refers to old hairs coming out to make room for new hairs.
Breaking: Breaking refers to hair (new or old) breaking, not at the root, but mid shaft.

I felt I was experiencing both of this things at a rapid rate. My front was starting to look like a receding hair line.

You see these thin edges? I'm pretty sure my hair is receding right! Look at this crap!
So, what did I do... I changed up my routine. My previous routine consisted of shampooing with a light shampoo, conditioning, deep conditioning, detangle, seal, and wash and go.

This week, I tried a new routine, and I have to say, I am almost in tears while writing this...my hair did not shed almost at all, except for a few, very few strands here and there. I typically have to wash my hands mid shingle because its covered in my curls. This time, I got through the whole freaking head!!!

My routine...well for the past month or two, I've totally taken shampoo out of my process. No shampoo at all. I thought maybe the shampoo was causing my hair to get more dry and tangled, and caused me to loose more hair during the detangle process. I now only cowash with Giovanni Volumness conditioner I got from Marshalls (random find for a huge bottle for 10 bucks!) I still had shed after this, a little less, but still a whole lot in my opinion.

This Sunday, instead of my typical deep condition, detangle and shingle routine, I didn't shingle. I wanted to give my hair a break from the gel. I felt maybe the breakage/shed was coming from the products drying my hair out. I did a twistout on wet hair, just sealing with coconut oil and moisturizing with Knot Today. I wore the twist out for about 3 days.

On my second wash day, Wednesday, I bought a new conditioner...(cue the music). This product...Profectiv Mega Growth Deep Strengthening Growth Conditioner.


 I got this from CVS on my lunch break on a whim for like $6. I had not heard anything about it, and it was with the "permed" hair stuff, but the ingredients (lots of proteins, mineral oils, etc) sound like a recipe I needed. All the light, natural, organicy stuff is good. But my hair was dying for something with some meat on it.

I cowashed, and slathered this stuff on. Let me tell you...it was like my soul opened up and cried. It felt so smooth going on...so thick. I had been using the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Conditioner, and it was okay, but WAY to light for my mane. I applied this like you would apply a perm, section by section and coated all my curls root to tip. It says you only need it for like 10 or 20 min but I needed some serious repair! I put on my plastic cap and went to sleep in it.

In the am I washed out and OMG...I could feel it. The strength, the power! My curls felt like they had the weight they needed to stand up to the days challenge, lol. I was impressed. I decided to try it out with a shingling session to see if it could hold up and guys guess what! It did! I didn't even use the tangle teezer to detangle! Just my fingers, and if you have heard anything about how my detangle sessions go, you know, this is serious! No comb to predetangle either, just my hands, and my eco and I finished my whole head in about 15min! I am giving this conditioner all the glory for helping me!

I'm trying not to get too geeked, but I think the Great Shed of 2011 has been combated with this Mega Growth product. I'm not interested so much in the growth as the retention and I think, this product is my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment