Saturday, July 9, 2011

In My Ears: Wale

The radio is funny. Not funny ha ha but funny in a way that its not really transmitting much of anything anymore. Even if an artist is remotely good, the good stuff doesn't make it on the radio. The radio is so divisive, they transmit trash and glamour us with the trash. Now the Internet has taken over as the source for good music. And not satellite/Internet radio. I mean blogs and mixtapes. This is now where we must go to hear the good.

That was a long way to get to whats in my ears right now. Wale - The Mixtape About Nothing. Nothing short of awesome. Pretty much every song on this mixtape is the bomb. The fact that it is set to interludes from the show Seinfeld is so thoughtful and for me, surprising of this artist. Shout out to datpiff for being one of my favorite websites to get music. Click on the datpiff link to hear it for yourself.

Wale is from the DMV area where I now live and typically do not like many rappers here. They either put everything to a gogo beat which I'm not a fan of (I know #killmyself) or they over extend the ooohhh in the word two and it blows me. I've heard a few radio tracks from Wale, but nothing that moved me...or made me think about anything. This mixtape really proved him to me...because I know he was spending a lot of time waiting for me to become a fan, lol.

My favorite track is The Trip. Its set to one of my favorite 90's R&B songs. There are many good ones on here, they all could be my favorites...except for No Hands. I'm over it. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment