Sunday, October 2, 2011

Damn Good Biscuits!

One of my passions is baking. Its one of the only "normal" events I can remember doing with my mom when I was little:-) I'm working on a lot of recipes, adding new ones to my Rolodex and hopefully beginning a new business venture in a couple of months (more info coming soon).

Anyhoo, today, I had a taste for biscuits. Not the biscuits in a can, but some guuuud biscuits. I found a recipe and it had to be sent from the Lawd himself. But ladies, beware...only make this recipe if you are trying to get him to fall in love, do the laundry, watch the kids, get a ring, you get my point. Please don't waste this recipe on someone stupid. Don't make these for someone you don't really care about. These biscuits will take your stock wayyyyy up! I promise!

I mean, some women are pretty, some smart, maybe even good in bed...but wake up in the morning roll some dough from scratch and make a man sweet bread...ha, ha, ha, you are worth your weight in gold!

I even got Lil' K involved. She will have it down early!


Here is a recipe I adapted from a cozy kitchen blog and its great.

Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks of very cold butter (or 6 ounces), cubed
1/2 cup cold and shaken buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg, beaten with a tablespoon of milk or water (egg wash)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Working quickly, add the cubed butter and break it up with your hands until all of the butter is broken into bits and resembles small peas.

In a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add the buttermilk mixture and maple syrup to the flour mixture. Mix until barely combined. Lightly dust your kitchen counter with flour and dump the dough onto it. Knead a few times (maybe 4 or 5) until the dough comes together. Press or gently roll the dough into a 1-inch thickness. Cut out biscuits using a 2-inch cutter (I used the rim of a glass) and place on lined baking sheet. Re-roll dough scraps to get a few more biscuits. Brush the tops of the biscuits with egg wash and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until tall and golden brown.

Try it and tell me what you think!!! I want to commit this to memory. Every chica should have a good biscuit recipe in their holster!

No comments:

Post a Comment